Monday, December 03, 2007

"The time has come," the Walrus said,

"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
The Walrus and The Carpenter
Lewis Carroll

One of my favorite tales.

I empathize with the oysters, the primrose path is so easy to follow.

Shakespeare in Hamlet offers us all a warning as well:
Do not, as some ungracious pastors do,
Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven,
Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine,
Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads
And recks not his own rede.
My point, humbled in such company... The easy way is rarely the best. Having a goal is laudable, seeking that goal expediently is a risky business.

Finally there is an old saw I remind myself of regularly: "Lie down with dogs - wake up with fleas."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

site stats