Saturday, December 02, 2006

With a Child Like Sense of Wonder

This is a different kind of post for me... I'm not trying to convince anyone about anything, just framing some issues that puzzle me.

Over the past few years my WTF sense of puzzlement has been growing. Perhaps it's the onset of some age related thing, but I don't think so.

There are some things that are obvious to me and other things that remain obscure regardless of my efforts.

I'm gonna throw a few of my puzzles out there in the hopes that someone wiser than I can penetrate the fog.

---

A biggie for starters: On 9/11 we were attacked by a Muslim group. More people were killed than at Pearl Harbor. It's clear who did it and why.

There's turn of phrase that I read recently that's apropos. What we are facing is a consensus if not a conspiracy. It has a name: Islam!

It takes many forms, but like cancer, there are few that are truly benign when introduced to the western body politic.

Yet our effete reactions suggest that Islam does indeed possess something we relish? I can think of no other explanation for our behavior. Perhaps like an unruly, mildly self-destructive, youngster we really want limits and structure imposed on our lives?

---

Another puzzle is abortion. My personal take is that it's an act of violence against a human being. Like surgery or the death penalty it is sanctioned by ourselves under a 'majority rules' form of government. Yet many of the same people who support abortion also support groups like PETA and ELF (among others). People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, for instance, does not extend the same ethical treatment they demand for puppies to the human life form. ELF will risk a logger's life to save a tree.

Granted those are extreme examples of irony or something, and there are lunatic extremists who bomb abortion clinics as well. All that does is add to my puzzlement.

---

Virtually open borders and a Global War On Terrorism. Hardly needs amplification as to why that's a puzzler.

---

A system of government where people under investigation for criminal acts get elected to high office. Here in West Virginia we have Representative Mollohan. He is under investigation by the FBI. Yet the Democrats look poised to make Mollohan the chairman of the panel which controls the purse strings for the entire Justice Department -- including the FBI.

Speaking of Murtha - Just what the hell is an un-indicted co-conspirator?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

site stats