Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I'm feeling MUCH better now!

Snagged from Drudge: War protesters frustrated by apathy

"People walk past and say, 'I'm glad you're doing something,' " said Marty O'Malley, a Forest Hills council member who has attended more than 100 anti-Iraq war events, as he stood in front of Democratic U.S. Rep. Mike Doyle's Downtown office last week with the small gathering of activists.

"I want to shake them and say, 'Why aren't you doing something!?' "

The speaker is ostensibly a Vietnam Vet?

The article goes on to blame The Media for this apathy, even carefully quoting Pete Hegseth in concurrence.

It breaks my heart that the anti-war crowd is disappointed by what they see as apathy, but I wonder if... oh gee... people simply don't agree with them?

For years those folks have, as part of their mantra, declared that the vast majority of people in this country are against the war, citing this and that poll with some selectivity and free interpretation at need.

I dunno, it seems clear that their numbers are falling and that their over-all frustration is giving rise to more violence and outlandish behavior. But it seems likely that any apathy is concerning their various causes collectively, rather than the The War specially. They need to remember that ANSWER was made up of a disparate conglomeration of groups and that the anti-war aspect was but a small fraction. Almost all of the events staged by directly anti-war types have been tiny in fact. The recent IVAW Winter Soldier 'testimonies' were held in a relative vacuum, and the IVAW had asked the affiliated groups to stay away.

Again I dunno; seems to me the article is confusing the terms apathetic with pathetic.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonn Lilyea said...

When I read that article, I got the impression that Pete Hegseth was portrayed as one of the anti-war types and that VFF is one of those fruity VFP-type groups.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Zero Ponsdorf said...

I did say carefully quoted! When I read it I said 'oh shit' Pete got caught by those who do that sort of thing for a living.

Think about what weenies could do by selectively quoting bits of The Declaration of Independence.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

site stats