Thursday, March 26, 2009

Anachronsim

2: a person or a thing that is chronologically out of place ; especially : one from a former age that is incongruous in the present.

A scene from "Heartbreak Ridge" - the Major explains things to Gunny Highway.
Maj. Malcolm A. Powers: I don't know what strings you pulled to get back into this division but I can assure you that I don't like it. This is the new Marine Corps. The new breed. Characters like you are an anachronism. You should be sealed in a case that reads break glass only in the event of war. Got no tolerance for you old timers who think that you know it better and can have it all your own way. Understand?
Recently I've been feeling like an anachronism myself. No, not to the above extreme, nor even quite in the same context... but it was just fun to dig out that quote!

My wife attended a conference in Charlotte recently, held by a major counseling organization. Most of the seminars reeked of multicultural/politically correct mumbo-jumbo. Her daily recaps and a glance at the scheduled seminars she DIDN'T attend were frightening.

Speaking only for me (I'm not sure I should repeat my wife's words)... How do you call someone silly nowadays? Is that one of those no-no words? And where does personal responsibility come into to play?

But the apparent paradigm shift in the arena of psychology is only peripheral to the issue of becoming an anachronism. And I'm not talking about just being older or dealing with 'the generation gap'.

Daily events seem to demonstrate the prescience, or wisdom, of Nikita Khrushchev's famous observation: "I once said, 'We will bury you,' and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you."

We won the cold war with the USSR... and yet... and yet we're losing the battle for the 'hearts and minds' of our own people.

Not so long ago I found myself in a similar confused state. Gays would likely be among the first targets under sharia law, and yet, instead of demanding Islamic extremists be confronted and stopped they seemed to stifle any such attempts.

Years ago I stood watching lava flow down a mountainside directly at me. It was night and, even though a small knoll prevented the lava from getting to where I stood, the sense of inevitability was there.

I think that may well be a useful definition of an anachronism for now.

I went to Viet Nam, my dad was KIA in Korea. Standing in the face of the inevitable may well be foolish, but just when did it become moot?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

are you sure the lady you are with was in Olongapo and not in Singapore?
During the 60's I was with an identical lady.
At the moment i'm on the road for a few months but when we get back home I will search the archives and send you a snap.

cheers
jhak ex RAN

jhak@optusnet.com.au

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

site stats