Saturday, March 18, 2006

Just One Question?

Who or what is America?



Asked a different way: If you call yourself an American, what does that mean?

This is such a fundamental question and yet I haven't recently asked it of myself.

Oh, there are a plethora of images I associate with the IDEA, but I don't have an answer for myself, let alone for us collectively.

Multiculturalism and globalization may have permeated things so much that NO-ONE can answer? To say nothing of a general narcissism pervading the country.

Yet the question is so profound we must start trying to answer it, or become irrelevant.

I have some ideas, but I'm more interested in hearing from others just now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Consul-At-Arms said...

I could give a technical answer about qualifications for U.S. citizenship, but that's not what you're asking.

I believe to a traditional notion of what makes someone American, that is someone subscribing to our unique "civil religion."

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen, consul-at-arms.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

site stats